ADB Water Watch: ADB and Dalberg Scoping Study for Increasing Private Financing in WASH
In early 2022, SDCC’s Water Team collaborated with ADB PSOD and commissioned Dalberg Advisors to assess the market opportunities and constraints in India among micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the WASH Sector in accessing commercial financing. MSMEs play a critical role in providing last-mile connectivity and helping to close the water supply and sanitation service gaps, as they often serve poorer customers living outside of formal service areas who lack access to centralized water supply and sewerage networks. These MSMEs include water vendors, water kiosk operators, fecal sludge collectors, and pit emptiers. The study provides recommendations on what ADB can do to expand access to financing among MSMEs in the WASH sector in India to accelerate progress on SDG 6.
This ADB Water Watch webinar aimed to share a summary of the findings of the study, including:
- Profile of MSMEs operating in India’s WASH Sector
- Market opportunities for lending to WASH MSMEs
- Key challenges and bottlenecks which result in high borrowing costs for MSMEs in the sector
- Financing and technical assistance instruments needed to address these challenges
- Opportunities for ADB intervention based on market needs and ADB's own capabilities and experience
|Date||Session / Activity||Presentation Material||Speaker(s)|
|20 Oct 2022||Presentation||
ADB WASH private sector investing: Summary
This presentation gives an overview of the summary of the findings of the study such as market opportunities for lending to WASH MSMEs and key challenges...
|Pamela Bracey, Harshita Rathi, Kunal Walia, Nirat Bhatnagar|