Call for Applications: Atoll Youth Climate Leaders
The Atoll Youth Climate Project under ADB’s Youth for Asia program is looking to recruit youth from atoll nations who are passionate and committed to being young leaders for change through climate action. The selected youth will be part of the project on “Catalyzing Youth-led Climate Action” focused on the four (4) atoll nations which include Tuvalu, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, and the Maldives.
Selected youth will undergo capacity building through a series of trainings on (1) climate change innovation, (2) climate risk data collection, (3) youth and community facilitation, and (4) ethics and safeguards workshop. At the end of these trainings, participants will each receive a certificate of completion from ADB Youth for Asia.
The AYCL program encourages youth between the age of 18 and 30 years (inclusive) from all backgrounds to apply, especially young women and vulnerable youth. The program is set to meaningfully engage and empower young people to be drivers of change in climate action. After undergoing capacity building training, AYCL will work together with the Atoll Youth Climate project team in activities such as data collection, facilitating local youth for capacity building program, climate change innovation challenge and youth-led climate project demonstrations. There will also be an opportunity for AYCL to represent in the Our Ocean Conference to be held in Palau in April 2022.
Selected youth may speak in the local languages and dialect throughout the project and facilitation for ease of understanding. All preparations and training will be carried out through a hybrid format, (i.e., online and offline platforms to enable wide and meaningful youth participation in various communities and locations, especially those located outside of the capital regions).
- Youth aged 18-30 years old (inclusive) currently living in any of the atoll nations (Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Tuvalu, or the Maldives)
- Have basic experience and knowledge in climate change, data collection and community facilitation
- Have strong interest in climate action, innovation, and youth development
- Able to commit to required activities of the Atoll Youth Climate Project throughout implementation, from January-October 2022
- Fluent in English and their country’s local language
Roles and responsibilities
- Conduct data collection for climate risk assessment and assist with data analysis, and report production with the Atoll Youth Climate project team
- Assist with project open calls, co-organize and co-facilitate the capacity building programs, intergenerational climate dialogue and other major events of the project
- Lead climate change innovation challenge project and facilitate monitoring and evaluation of projects while coordinating with the Atoll Youth Climate Project Team
- Actively participate in capacity building programs and other major events of the project such as intergenerational climate dialogue, climate innovation project showcase and Our Oceans Conference 2022
Implementation period: Atoll Youth Climate Leaders (AYCL) will be engaged intermittently for 50 days from February to October 2022.
How to register
ADB Youth for Asia promotes meaningful engagement and inclusivity, therefore open recruitment will be carried out ensuring that at least 50% women, 30% youth in outside of capital region, and 20% youth with disabilities are selected.
To apply, please fill out the form and kindly submit your application by Monday, 31 January 2022, 11:59 p.m. GMT+8.
Each AYCL recruited will be entitled to the following allowances:
- Daily allowance and communication support for a total of 50 days (Jan 2022-Oct 2022)
- Transportation support
Watch the full episode of the information session here:
|Date||Session / Activity||Presentation Material||Speaker(s)|
|25 Jan 2022||Information Session||Preliminaries||Rosi Waqanisau, Moderator|
|25 Jan 2022||Opening Remarks||Message from ADB Youth for Asia||Oliver Chapman, Senior Social Development Specialist, ADB|
|25 Jan 2022||Overview of ADB Youth for Asia||ADB Youth for Asia's Meaningful Youth Engagement and operational framework||Lara Salaysay, Youth Project Designer on Climate Change and Environment|
|25 Jan 2022||Information Session Proper||
The Atoll Youth Climate Leaders Program
This presentation gives an overview of the Atoll Youth Climate Leaders Program and an introduction to ADB Youth for Asia.
|25 Jan 2022||Question and Answer||Rafid Shidqi and Lara Salaysay|